Biden says Covid surge must be solved at state stage, vows full federal assist

United States President Joe Biden speaks during a meeting with the Supply Chain Disruptions Task Force and private sector CEOs in the South Auditorium of the White House in Washington, DC on December 22, 2021.

Brendan Smialowski | AFP | Getty Images

president Joe Biden on Monday pledged to support governors struggling with the Omicron variant of Covid-19, but admitted that states must take the lead in controlling the pandemic.

Shortly before a meeting with some of the country’s governors, Biden said: “There is no federal solution. This will be resolved at the state level. “

These comments constitute one of the Biden’s government’s most prominent admissions to date that it is in its efforts to prevent the spread of Covid-19.

The president may be concerned that federal initiatives to contain the virus cannot be effective without the help of states. The comments could also be an attempt to put additional pressure on governors to play a bigger role in fighting the disease.

The White House did not immediately respond to CNBC’s request for clarification.

After his remarks, Biden asked whether he supported revised recommendations for reduced quarantine times.

“I rely on my medical team. I get a recommendation, I follow it,” he said.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recently launched theirs Recommendations for people who may have been exposed to the virus. Instead of the recommended standard 14-day quarantine, the CDC says suspected exposures should result in a 10 or seven day quarantine based on test results and symptoms.

The Omicron variant poses a multi-faceted threat to Biden, who advocates the federal government’s ability to contain the pandemic. The president on Monday reiterated some of the promises he made last week, including the federal government’s purchase of 500 million rapid coronavirus tests.

“My message to the governors is simple: if you need something, say something,” he said. “We’ll keep your back free as best we can.”

The government plans to distribute the tests to Americans for free, support more vaccination and testing centers, and deploy 1,000 military medics to increase hospital staff nationwide.

But the virus’ ability to mutate, spread, and occasionally result in positive cases in those who received a vaccine has made the government’s promise to slow the disease down difficult. The virus and vaccine have both blossomed into political football. Many Americans, especially those who support former President Donald Trump, refuse to get vaccinated.

Given the nationwide differences in attitudes towards the virus and public safety priorities, governors’ responses to the Biden government’s efforts have been mixed.

Texas Governor Greg Abbott, a Republican, an implementing regulation in. enact October prohibits all entities, including private companies, from from the imposition of Covid-19 vaccination obligations on employees or customers. Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, who is considered a Republican presidential candidate in 2024, has been breaking away from federal public health guidelines and restricting mask and vaccine mandates in recent months.

The Biden government has been stressing for weeks that Americans should be extra careful during the 2021 holiday season to protect their families from the spread of the disease.

The president’s remarks came as Covid-19 cases spiked over the Christmas holiday weekend.

The highly contagious variant of Omicron has reported more coronavirus cases in a handful of states, including New Jersey and New York, in the past week than any other seven-day period during the pandemic.

While initial signs suggest the variant could cause milder symptoms, health experts are calling for strict public safety protocols, saying that the variant’s rapid spread could put strain on the US hospital system and lead to more deaths.

“Every day it goes up and up. The last weekly average was around 150,000 and it will likely go much higher,” said US infectious disease expert Dr. Anthony Fauci said “This Week” on the ABC show on Sunday.

On Wednesday, before the holiday weekend disrupted Covid trackers, the seven-day national average of new daily cases topped 176,000, a 44% increase over the past 14 days. The number of deaths also rose during this period from 1,103 to a seven-day average of 1,213.

CNBC policy

Read more about CNBC’s political coverage:

Donald Trump vows to cease GOP from elevating cash for Rep. John Katko

Washington – Donald Trump told a radio host Thursday that he would work to prevent House Republicans from raising money for Rep. John Katko and other GOP members of Congress who voted to indict him.

The Joint Fundraising Committee of House Faction Leader Kevin McCarthy has deposited more than $ 100,000 in Katko’s campaign account this year, Federal Electoral Commission records show.

Katko, R-Camillus, is one of several dozen House Republicans supported by McCarthy’s leadership committee.Take the house back 2022. “

Trump, in an interview The John Fredericks radio show, pledged to ensure that Katko and four other House Republicans who voted for impeachment are cut off from future financial support from McCarthy’s committee.

“I’ll see who he funds,” Trump said of McCarthy, “and if so, I’ll stop the whole deal. I will stop doing that. “

Katko, R-Camillus, is under 10 House Republicans who voted for impeachment against Trump for inciting the January 6 attack on the US Capitol.

Katko, who was asked about Trump last week, said he should no longer be considered a Republican Party leader. The four-year-old congressman also said he would not be intimidated by the former president.

“I do not withdraw from anyone when it comes to political threats” Katko told the editors of syracuse.com | The Post standard. “I’m not worried about that.”

McCarthy’s joint fundraising committee supported five of the ten Republicans who voted for impeachment. In addition to Katko, the other GOP representatives are Peter Meijer from Michigan, David Valadao from California, Fred Upton from Michigan and Jaime Herrera Beutler from Washington.

“All but one – Katko in New York, he’s not popular, and I think he’s going to get out of the district – but there is an area code for each of them,” Trump told Fredericks.

Trump was referring to the fact that no major Republican opponent of Katko has emerged in Onondaga County, where Katko resides.

The New York Independent Redistricting Commission last week revealed two partisan plans to set new boundaries for Katko’s district.

The democratic plan would Merge parts of Katko’s 24th congressional district with that of GOP Rep. Claudia Tenney in the neighboring 22nd district. Trump has promised to support Tenney when she competes in a primary against Katko.

Trump has also encouraged Onondaga County’s Conservative Party leaders to Put up a candidate to join Katko. to oppose next year in a possible elementary school.

Katko is vice chair of the National Republican Congressional Committee, the fundraising arm for Republicans in the House of Representatives. He has received financial support from the NRCC in each of his previous campaigns.

Do you have a tip, comment or a story idea? Contact Mark Weiner at any time at: E-mail | Twitter | Facebook | 571-970-3751

Joanna Lumley vows to by no means retire | Leisure

Joanna Lumley will never retire.

The 74-year-old star actress has no interest in giving up her career as she gets older, but accepts that if the roles dry up, she may have no choice.

She said, “It’s full speed ahead. If you act, acting will take you into retirement.

“So if you haven’t been asked to do anything in five years, you can assume you’re retired, but I’m still working away.”

The ‘New Avengers’ actress didn’t worry about contracting the coronavirus, against which she had now received her first vaccine, because she knew there was nothing she could do about it.

Talk to OK! She said in a magazine, “I am not a worrying person. I’m a bit kismet – either it will come and unfortunately it will get you, or it won’t.

“Even though I’m 112 years old, I’m pretty fit and young, so I wasn’t worried about that, no.”

Although Joanna didn’t see her son and granddaughters because of the pandemic, she enjoyed having more time with her husband, conductor Stephen Barlow.

She said, “It was nice. We are one of those happy families, we get along.

“He’s my best friend and someone I enjoy talking to as much as anyone else in the world. So that was never a problem.

“I’ve always enjoyed cooking. My husband is also a good cook. That was pretty interesting.

“But only because we’re both terribly fat now! We have to turn the corner and say, “OK, stop all this nonsense.”

The “Absolutely Fabulous” star is “terribly touched” to be considered a national treasure.

She said, “It’s a sweet favorite thing and I am terribly touched.

“Part of it is that I’m very familiar because I’ve been bouncing around in front of you for about 50 years so people will know who I am.

“I had this lovely, warm welcome for the roles I played.

“People are nice and they know I love them, so they might love me in return.”

Mayor vows to retain state cash for Sewerage & Water Board, regardless of metropolis’s large stimulus payout

Mayor LaToya Cantrell said the state has already allocated $ 20 million to the Sewerage & Water Board to incorporate a new Entergy substation planned for its Carrollton facility. It’s money she wants to keep despite New Orleans standing in line to receive a huge grant from the latest round of federal pandemic aid. Cantrell told an S&WB board meeting on Wednesday that she had heard Baton Rouge “rumble” about possible efforts to take back the state money. She said she would reach out to the New Orleans Legislative Delegation for assistance. The latest round of pandemic funds, part of the American Rescue Plan Act, includes $ 375 million for New Orleans – one of the largest grants for any U.S. city and by far the largest in Louisiana. Cantrell said money will offset the city’s spending and loss of tax revenue as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak. “No effort should be made to divert those (state) dollars that have been identified for the substation integration,” said Cantrell. The Sewerage & Water Board needs to borrow $ 34 million from Entergy’s finance department to pay for the substation, which is scheduled to go live in 2023. The state’s $ 20 million will be used to add this new power source to the facility’s existing grid, Ghassan Korban, executive director of the Sewerage & Water Board, said the utility will deploy nearly $ 30 million in federal funds that are already in place available for all of his power plant modernization plans. He is also filing an additional $ 46 million with the Federal Emergency Management Agency. Korban said the Sewerage & Water Board will tap multiple wells to spend $ 45 million on three more frequency converters needed for Entergy’s modern power generation, and hide it for use in its outdated drainage facility. A portion of $ 5 million will come from the 2019 Fair Share Agreement to align tourism tax revenue with urban infrastructure needs. Another $ 30 million will be borrowed from Entergy. Cantrell and other local officials are expected to explore several state ways to pay for Sewerage & Water Board projects. Without state or federal funding, the Sewerage & Water Board would likely have to reach out to customers to pay to upgrade its electrical grid. A series of 10% annual increases in S&W bills that started in 2013 ended last year. A rating service that reviews the utility’s ability to borrow money said a further increase in customer rate would likely be required if the government fails to pay the bill for their large-scale projects.

Mayor LaToya Cantrell said the state has already allocated $ 20 million to the Sewerage & Water Board to incorporate a new Entergy substation planned for its Carrollton facility. It’s money she wants to keep despite New Orleans poised to receive a huge allocation from the latest round of federal pandemic aid.

Cantrell told an S&WB board meeting Wednesday that she had heard Baton Rouge “rumble” about possible efforts to withdraw the state money. She said she would reach out to the New Orleans Legislative Delegation for assistance.

The latest round of pandemic funds, part of the American Rescue Plan Act, includes $ 375 million for New Orleans – one of the largest grants for a U.S. city and by far the largest in Louisiana. Cantrell said money was meant to offset the city’s expenses and lose tax revenue as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak.

“No effort should be made to divert those (state) dollars that have been identified for the substation integration,” said Cantrell.

The Sewerage & Water Board needs to borrow $ 34 million from Entergy’s finance department to pay for the substation, which is scheduled to go live in 2023. The state’s $ 20 million will be used to add this new power source to the facility’s existing grid.

Ghassan Korban, executive director of the Sewerage & Water Board, said the utility will already be putting $ 30 million in federal funds into its overall plans to modernize the power plant. It is also filing an additional $ 46 million with the Federal Emergency Management Agency, he said.

Korban said the Sewerage & Water Board will tap multiple sources to spend $ 45 million on three more frequency converters. This equipment is required to take advantage of Entergy’s modern form of electricity for use in obsolete drainage systems. A portion of $ 5 million will come from the 2019 Fair Share Agreement to align tourism tax revenue with the needs of the city’s infrastructure. Another $ 30 million will be borrowed from Entergy.

Cantrell and other local officials are expected to explore multiple government channels to pay for Sewerage & Water Board projects. Without state or federal funding, the Sewerage & Water Board would likely have to reach out to customers to pay to upgrade its electrical grid.

A series of 10% annual increases in S&W bills that started in 2013 ended last year. A rating service that reviews the utility’s ability to borrow money has determined that if the government fails to pay the bill for their large projects, further increases in customer rates would likely be required.