Inexperienced Lake Township Votes to Maintain Federal COVID-19 Reduction Cash

In May, members of the Green Lake Township Board in Grand Traverse County voted to distribute a portion of their federal COVID-19 aid to township workers, including elected officials.

During a community meeting on Monday, the board voted four to three to put the funds on hold.

Members plan to review where the money is going and make sure it is in line with federal guidelines.

The federal government says the aid money can be used for infrastructure, lost revenue, personal protection and equipment, and staff, as well as the salaries of elected officials.

However, the state says the money cannot go to elected officials.

Marvin Radtke, the Green Lake Township overseer, says the COVID-19 aid money should be based solely on federal guidelines as it is federal money.

Radtke says he and the community clerk invested more than 1,000 hours of overtime to protect the community during the pandemic.

“I was down in the playground and wiped things off according to the instructions of the executive,” said Radtke. “Whenever someone touched the playground equipment, they had to be wiped off.”

A community member who volunteered during the November election says Judy Kramer, Green Lake community secretary, made sure everyone was safe during the election.

“Judy Kramer took such care to keep us healthy. She made sure we had the personal protective equipment we needed, ”said Linda Pepper, a resident of Green Lake Township. “I don’t mind going ahead and rewarding someone who goes far and higher. You kept everyone sane; that is a huge achievement.

The church now plans to hold a series of meetings to get an idea of ​​where people want the funds to go.

Flushing Township units cash apart for storm cleanup

FLUSHING TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WJRT) – 8/19/21 – The Flushing Township Board of Trustees unanimously decided this week to allocate $ 30,000 for storm clearing.

The Wednesday night vote came after the area was badly hit by storms and a micro-explosion last week. They left branches and twigs that were later piled up on the curb in many parts of the city.

Flushing Township does not have a public works department. Township Supervisor Fred Thorsby said it also lacks the equipment and manpower to carry out the cleanup.

He told ABC 12 that the money for the rubble removal would have to come from the community’s general fund.

In a Facebook post, Thorsby said that a tree service would be hired to begin the cleanup on Aug. 30. The Post also said that signs would be posted at the entrance to the subdivisions on Aug. 30.

Copyright 2021 WJRT. All rights reserved.

Neptune Township rescinds outside eating, leisure permits given out throughout pandemic

News 12 employees

06/02/2021, 10:23 PM EDT

Updated on:06/02/2021, 10:23 PM EDT

A Monmouth County pizza shop owner was able to keep his business open during the pandemic. But he’s now struggling to stay in business.

Many companies across New Jersey were forced to change their business plans when the COVID-19 home stay regulation was implemented. Restaurants have been forced to switch from food services to take-away and al fresco dining.

“We put every dollar we had into this outdoor area. It was literally something that was just a last hope, ”says Vinny Ferrara, owner of Delvetto Pizzeria & Pub.

Ferrara’s restaurant opened just before the pandemic broke out, crippling businesses across New Jersey.

“We were able to make takeout, but that’s not enough to pay the bills. We literally crawled, tried to pay the bills and earned absolutely nothing, ”says Ferrara.

Ferrara says the restaurant got something of a lifeline in June when both Neptune Township and the state approved outdoor dining and entertainment through November 2022. Delvetto has shifted again and added outdoor performances.

“I’ve probably reached out to all of these – probably over 100 different bands, local bands. ‘Hey, do you want to play in my parking lot?’ “Says Ferrara.

The “Tiki Lot” was born. But Ferrara says Neptune Township will lift all outdoor entertainment permeans from June 6th. Outdoor dining permits will be revoked until Labor Day. The permits were all temporarily granted during the pandemic to help businesses stay afloat.

“It’s the only thing that keeps us alive and together,” says Ferrara. “We fight and fight every day just to pay the bills.”

Some customers say they prefer to eat outdoors, especially since COVID-19 is still a threat in the state.

“I’m not going to feel comfortable being inside at this point,” says Red Bank’s Sarah White. “It seems like a real step backwards.”

Other customers say the open air concerts brought the community together.

“A lot of our neighbors from all over the area would meet here and the kids would eat pizza, they would have live entertainment,” says Jill Tramontano of Neptune. “I am very disappointed. I think it was a bad decision on Neptune’s part. “

Ferrara says that if the permits are revoked, he may have to fire some employees as they expect smaller crowds to eat.

News 12 New Jersey reached out to the ward and business administrator for comment but received no response.

Cash, weapons, ammo recovered after Pittsfield Township financial institution theft, police chase

On Ypsilanti Mann led police on a car chase that ended in a crash Tuesday after robbing one Pittsfield Township Bank.

Police said they were called to Chase Bank at 4101 E. Ellsworth Road at 1:22 pm to commit a robbery.

Witnesses gave the police a description of the robber, his vehicle and the route he had taken. Police were able to track down the vehicle the 48-year-old man was driving, but he fled and a car chase ensued until he crashed on US-23 and Washtenaw Avenues.

Stolen money, several firearms and ammunition were recovered at the scene of the accident and in the suspect’s vehicle, the police said. The man also wore body armor.

The man was injured in the crash and was taken to a hospital, where he is listed in severe but stable condition, police said. He will continue to be tested and treated.

The robbery is being investigated further. Anyone with information is asked to call the confidential TIP line at the Pittsfield Township Police Department at 734-822-4958.

Harrison Township man hit with bribery, cash laundering fees for unlawful asbestos work

ON Harrison Township Man was charged with multiple crimes for misrepresenting project costs and bribery when running an asbestos removal company.

Kevin Woods faces financial penalties of up to $ 100,000 and several decades in jail after allegedly laundering money from subcontracting home demolition Detroit Landbank Authority.

In addition to bribing an employee of a large demolition company in the southeast Michigan He violated state law on contracts when employees of an air surveillance company he also owned did rework on homes where he had removed asbestos and made hundreds of thousands of dollars.

“While the complexity of this suspected financial crime cannot go unnoticed, I am grateful for the thorough work of my prosecutors and those in the office of the Special Inspector General for the Troubled Asset Relief Program,” said Nessel.

Woods, 50, ran BBEK Environmental, an asbestos removal company labyrinthwas initially suspended from working with the city Detroit in July 2019. However, he signed contracts with the city in 2015.

For the next four years, BBEK was chosen frequently to do mitigation work for Adamo Group after Woods bribed Aradondo Haskins – an employee of the company – which allowed Woods to land contracts.

After the reduction was complete, air monitoring companies HC Consulting Services and Green Way Environmental performed post-work quality checks. Both companies are also owned by Woods and have made $ 400,000 in profits.

However, state law mandates that all post-reduction air quality checks must be performed by an independent third party separate from the subcontractor. Forest injured this rule for years.

“The law requiring air quality monitors to be independent of those who remove asbestos and other hazardous materials is critical to protecting the health and safety of Michigan communities. SIGTARP commends Michigan Attorney General Nettle for helping us stands by to prosecute this alleged violation of this law combined with bribery, “said Christy Goldsmith Romero, TARP’s Special Inspector General.

In addition, Woods allegedly forged project costs, which reduced the amount of money he owed the state licensing agency. He had to transfer 1% of the project costs to the Asbestos Removal Fund under the Asbestos Control Company Licensing Act, but devalued the projects he was working on by up to 50% to avoid paying.

A forensic review of the crimes revealed that he had defrauded the state of $ 26,000 in fees.

Woods turned into an agency on Tuesday and was indicted Wednesday morning. They include:

  • Four US $ 100,000 false positives, a 20 year crime;
  • A false scam count between $ 1,000 and $ 20,000, a five year crime;
  • A count of money laundering, a 10 year crime; and
  • A bribe count by an agent or employee, a year long offense

Haskins, who took bribes from Woods, was charged by the federal government with manipulating offers made to another contractor. He pleaded guilty to a conspiracy to have committed bribery and fraud with honest service. He has since served prison term.

Twin Cities girl accused of stealing cash from township

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) – Federal officials said a Twin Cities woman stole more than $ 650,000 from Vermillion Township in Dakota County while serving as an elected employee.

Maryann Stoffel, 70, of Hastings, was charged Monday with crime wire fraud in connection with an alleged plot that spanned nearly eight years.

Stoffel had the authority to sign the municipality’s bank account, for which two people had to sign checks according to the complaint. Investigators said she either forged the signatures of the treasurer or the community chairman, or collected her actual signatures on blank checks while claiming she was paying the community’s bills.

Authorities said Stoffel deposited the money in her personal bank account and removed the payments from the community’s annual report to herself. The complaint does not specify what Stoffel did with the money.

Messages left with Stoffel’s attorney on Monday were not returned immediately, the Star Tribune reported.

Salem Township handed on CARES cash | Information, Sports activities, Jobs

FRANKLIN SQUARE – Salem Municipality Trustees have confirmed they have not solicited any money under the Coronavirus Aid, Aid and Economic Security Act (CARES).

Community resident Johnna Timmons asked during the board meeting on Tuesday night if the CARES Act money had been denied and said how much she appreciated the fire department saved her barn and just wondered about the CARES money Act.

“Neither of the two fire departments contacted us about any COVID-19-related needs.” Trustee Bill Heston said. “We didn’t want to have 500 boxes of hand sanitizer and leave it here.”

The community is covered by two fire departments, Leetonia and Winona.

Treasury officer Dale Davis said the CARES Act money was available but could only be used for certain things related to COVID-19, such as personal protective equipment and anything in the community to better deal with the virus.

“It wasn’t free money that you could do what you wanted with” he said.

If they bought something with CARES Act money that wasn’t allowed and there was an exam, the money would have to be paid back.

Heston reiterated that the fire departments had not come to trustees.

“And we didn’t go to them” Timmons answered.

Trustee Ray Heddleson said the fire departments got taxpayers’ money for their expenses and Heston said they just had to ask.

On other matters, Constable Dan Valentine reported some problems in Franklin Square Cemetery on Salem Grange Road and asked for additional signage “No entry after dark” be placed at the entrances, noting that one sign was bent and another at the back.

“We got some calls about people who were up there after hours.” he said.

The trustees told him to contact the road foreman Jason Entrikin to get new signs.

Valentine also reported that a revised policy on the use of force was in place, prohibiting the use of choke handles and bringing the department into line with state rules.

Latest news and more in your inbox