Disney tells salaried and non-union workers they have to be vaccinated

A performer disguised as Mickey Mouse entertains guests during the reopening of the Disneyland theme park in Anaheim, California, the United States, on Friday, April 30, 2021.

Bloomberg | Bloomberg | Getty Images

The Walt Disney Company said Friday that all employees and non-union workers in the U.S. must be fully vaccinated against the coronavirus by the end of September.

Employees still working from home must provide proof of vaccination prior to returning to Disney locations, including theme parks and offices.

Disney said it has started talks with the unions representing its other employees, particularly those who work in its theme parks.

“Vaccines are the best tool we all have to control this global pandemic and protect our employees,” the company said in a statement.

The notification comes shortly after Disney announced that theme park guests must wear masks while at indoor locations in his home theme parks, regardless of vaccination status.

This policy was introduced after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reversed course and Recommended that fully vaccinated individuals wear masks again indoors in places with high Covid transmission rates. This Hot spots include states like California and Florida where Disney’s US parks are.

The CDC warned Thursday that the Delta variant, which sweeps the country, is as contagious as chickenpox. It also has a longer transmission window than the original Covid-19 strain and can make the elderly sicker even if they have been fully vaccinated.

Other companies that have introduced new vaccination guidelines include: Google, Facebook and Walmart.

Disney has updated its safety guidelines in line with local health regulations since the pandemic began, both domestically and internationally. Most recently, the company required proof of a Covid vaccination or a negative Covid test before entering its Paris amusement park according to French guidelines.

FDA chief tells reporter ‘transfer on’ when pressed on Biogen Alzheimer’s drug approval

A pedestrian walks past Biogen Inc. headquarters in Cambridge, Massachusetts on Monday, June 7, 2021.

Adam Glanzman | Bloomberg | Getty Images

Acting Commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration, Dr. Janet Woodcock, on Wednesday, opposed a journalist’s questions about the controversial approval of rejected BiogenicAlzheimer’s drug, Aduhelm.

During an interview at STAT’s Breakthrough Science Summit, STAT reporter Nicholas Florko asked Woodcock several questions about the drug, including whether she was surprised that the agency approved it for such widespread use.

When the FDA approved Aduhelm last month, it didn’t limit its use to specific Alzheimer’s patients. But after facing heavy criticism, about a month later, U.S. regulators changed course, updated the label, and restricted use of the drug for people with mild or early-stage Alzheimer’s disease.

Woodcock said Wednesday that the broader label is in line with other drugs for neurodegenerative disease. The FDA chief also admitted that Biogen’s drug approval process could possibly have been handled differently.

“It is possible that the process would have been managed in a way that would have reduced the controversy associated with it,” she said.

Florko asked if she was surprised at the label. She replied, “I think we should go ahead.”

When Florko then pressed Woodcock to see if she was one reported meeting Between an FDA regulator and Biogen in 2019, Woodcock said she worked for Operation Warp Speed, former President Donald Trump’s Covid drug and vaccine program, all last year. Then she said, “Nick, this is an interrogation right now,” and asked again to move on from the biotech company’s drug questions.

“I will not comment if and when and who. I really think we should go ahead, ”she replied.

The interview came less than a week after Woodcock’s call for a federal investigation in the approval of Biogen’s drug. On Friday, she asked the independent Office of Inspector General to investigate interactions between the US agency and Biogen prior to the drug’s approval on June 7th.

Biogen’s stock rose last month after the FDA issued the Drug from the biotech company, the first US regulator-approved drug to slow cognitive decline in people with Alzheimer’s disease, and the first new drug for the disease in nearly two decades.

This decision was a departure from the recommendations of the agency’s independent panel of external experts, who unexpectedly refused to support the drug last fall, citing unconvincing data. At least three members of the committee resigned in protest after the agency’s approval.

Federal agencies have faced heavy pressure from friends and family of Alzheimer’s patients to ask for the drug scientifically known as aducanumab to be expedited. The drug targets a “sticky” compound in the brain known as beta-amyloid that scientists expect to play a role in the devastating disease.

The investigation is the most recent setback for the company and the drug, which has been controversial since 2016.

In March 2019, Biogen withdrew from development of the drug after analysis by an independent group found it was unlikely to work. The company then shocked investors a few months later by announcing that it would apply for regulatory approval for the drug after all.

When Biogen filed for approval for the drug in late 2019, its scientists said a new analysis of a larger data set showed that aducanumab “reduces clinical decline in patients with early-stage Alzheimer’s disease.”

Alzheimer’s experts and Wall Street analysts were immediately skeptical, wondering whether the clinical trial data was enough to prove the drug works and whether approval could make it difficult for other companies to enroll patients in their own drug trials.

Some doctors said they won’t prescribe it aducanumab due to the mixed data package supporting the company’s application.

United Airways tells workers it is hiring lots of of pilots for journey restoration

A United Airlines Boeing 737 Max 9 aircraft lands at San Francisco International Airport.

Justin Sullivan | Getty Images

United Airlines On Thursday, staff told staff they would soon be hiring hundreds of pilots – a process the airline had to stop when the coronavirus pandemic destroyed demand for travel last year. This comes from an internal email that has been checked by CNBC.

The Chicago-based airline is the first of the major US carriers to announce that it will resume hiring pilots. This is the latest sign that she is preparing for a recovery. The airline will begin hiring approximately 300 pilots who had contingent vacancies or training scheduled last year before the airline abandoned the hiring.

Over the past year, airlines, including United, have urged thousands of workers to take advantage of buyouts, early retirement packages, and leave of absence in an effort to cut costs during the pandemic. United and its pilots union – the Air Line Pilots Association – reached an agreement last year to avoid vacationing with their pilots, including reduced hours for some junior pilotsHowever, these lower guarantees are suspended due to state aid.

Congress included a third round of federal payroll for airlines that bans downsizing through September 30 as part of coronavirus aid worth $ 1.9 trillion Package last month. As of March 2020, lawmakers have provided $ 54 billion in grants and loans to airlines to pay workers during the crisis.

US airlines combined lost $ 35 billion last year, but expect bookings to grow steadily as more people are vaccinated and more comfortable boarding planes.

“With vaccination rates increasing and the demand for travel increasing, I am pleased to announce that United will resume the pilot recruitment process that was halted last year,” wrote Bryan Quigley, United’s senior vice president of flight operations on Thursday in a staff note watched by CNBC. “We’re starting with the 300 or so pilots who either had a new recruitment class appointment that was canceled, or who had a conditional vacancy in 2020.”

The demand for air travel has increased recently. The Transportation Security Administration examined an average of 1.2 million people a day last month, up 15% from last year when the pandemic and stay-at-home orders halted almost all travel.

Last month’s volume is still below half of March 2019 levels, with business and international travel still largely stalling, but demand for recreational activities is starting to rise. Scott Kirby, United CEO, told an industry conference on Wednesday that domestic leisure demand has recovered almost entirely.

“I’m particularly pleased that we were able to project our staff during this disaster,” said Todd Insler, chairman of the United Chapter of the Air Line Pilots Association and captain at United, of the pandemic. He said if the company had been on vacation it would have been much harder to capitalize on the recovery of the trip.

Like United, other airlines see a need for additional staff, especially pilots, whose training is costly and time-consuming.

Spirit Airlines Last month, hiring of pilots and flight attendants resumed while other low-cost airlines Allegiant Air and Sun Country Airlines Also expect to rent this year.

Biden tells Congress Syria strikes are per U.S. proper to self-defense

President Joe Biden arrives at Ellington Field Joint Reserve Base in Houston, Texas, United States on February 26, 2021.

Jonathan Ernst | Reuters

president Joe Biden On Saturday, Congress said the air strikes it ordered this week in Syria were in line with the U.S. right to self-defense, as members of its own party demanded more transparency about why military action was being taken without Congressional approval .

“The United States has taken this action in accordance with the United States’ right of self-defense contained in Article 51 of the United Nations Charter,” wrote Biden in a letter to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate President Patrick Leahy.

Biden on Thursday ordered air strikes against facilities in eastern Syria that Iranian-backed militias are using, according to the Pentagon. The Department of Defense said several facilities at a border checkpoint were destroyed and there were casualties, but did not provide additional information.

These strikes were in response to a February 15 attack in which missiles struck Erbil International Airport in northern Iraq, where a coalition military base is located. The attack killed a civilian contractor from the US-led military coalition and injured several others, including an American service member.

“I led this military action to protect and defend our personnel and partners from these attacks and future such attacks,” Biden wrote in his letter on Saturday.

The letter comes after some Senate Democrats pushed back over the strikes against Biden, asking him to provide information on why military action was taken without the approval of Congress. According to the resolution of the armed forces, presidents must inform Congress within 48 hours of taking military action. In the letter, Biden cited his constitutional authority as Commander-in-Chief.

“I conducted this military action consistent with my responsibility to protect the citizens of the United States at home and abroad and to advance the national security and foreign policy interests of the United States, under and as my constitutional authority to conduct United States external relations Commander in Chief and Chief Executive, ”wrote Biden.

The Pentagon informed leaders in Congress before the military Strikes, according to a spokesman for the National Security Council. House spokeswoman Nancy Pelosi was also notified ahead of the strike, according to a Democratic adviser.

Iran condemned the US air strikes on Saturday and declined responsibility for the missile attacks on US targets. Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said the US strikes were “illegal and a violation of Syrian sovereignty,” according to Iranian state media reports.

– CNBC’s Christian Nunley and Reuters contributed to this report.