Stage Set For Restarting NYC’s Leisure Business

NEW YORK CITY – All kinds of New York performers could get their long-awaited curtain from the coronavirus pandemic.

Governor Andrew Cuomo and Mayor Bill de Blasio separately announced plans to resume live performances in the city on Monday.

The initiatives aim to get the city’s dormant arts sector going again through a combination of socially distant and COVID-19 tested events. Cuomo said they will set the stage to eventually reopen Broadway.

“I don’t have a set schedule for you, but this is the path we are going to walk while simultaneously monitoring the infection rate and the hospital stay rate,” he said.

Cuomos Plan – NY PopsUp – is a nationwide 100-day festival of 300 “pop-up” events. Events start on February 20th at the Javits Center and last until Labor Day.

Confirmed cast members include Hugh Jackman, Amy Schumer, Alec Baldwin, Chris Rock, Matthew Broderick, Sarah Jessica Parker, Patti Smith, Mandy Patinkin and Billy Porter, according to a publication.

According to Cuomo, there will be a combination of in-person and online events to pull the needle between live performances without mass gatherings.

“They are not designed to be planned in advance and attract a crowd because we don’t want a crowd,” he said.

Events will “crescendo” with the 20th anniversary of the Tribeca Film Festival and the opening of Little Island at Pier 55, Cuomo said.

De Blasio’s plan, announced shortly after Cuomos, ruffles the city’s open restaurant and street program.

“Open Culture” offers new one-day permits for arts and cultural institutions and entertainment options. Once approved, these venues can host socially distant performances in more than 100 street locations across the five boroughs.

De Blasio designed it as part of his “Recovery For All Of Us” campaign, unveiled in his last state in the city. The city’s cultural scene serves as a conscience and a source of hope, and without it, no recovery would be complete, he said.

“Open culture – bringing culture to the streets of New York City,” he said.

Get the news – join us in Brooklyn for an important announcement about the arts and culture in New York City! https://t.co/S5pfh05JUl
– Major Bill de Blasio (@NYCMayor) February 8, 2021

De Blasio also announced “Curtains Up NYC” on Monday – an attempt to help qualified venues raise the federal Save Our Stages money.

The federal program offers grants of up to $ 10 million to help with live performances, organizations, and performers during the coronavirus pandemic.

Curtains Up NYC offers free webinars three times a week about the program and its application process. In addition, applicants are connected to trained advisors for virtual one-on-one interviews.

The program officially starts on Wednesday.

click Here More information on Open Culture. You can find more information about Curtains UP NYC here Here.

Neil Younger’s misplaced album Johnny’s Island set for launch | Leisure

Neil Young will release the lost album ‘Johnny’s Island’.

The 75-year-old music legend recorded the tracks in Honolulu’s Commercial Recorders Studio, Hawaii, during the same sessions for his 1982 LP ‘Trans’.

The collection was previously called “Island In The Sun” and some of the songs made back then, like “Like An Inca”, “Hold On To Your Love” and “Little Thing Called Love” ended up on “Trans” ‘.

The album is now being released “soon” in all its glory through the Neil Young Archives.

Neil announced on his website for the project: “‘Johnny’s Island’, a full album currently being prepared for release in NYA, contains the majority of the unreleased tracks including ‘Big Pearl’, ‘Island In The Sun’ and ‘Love Hotel’. And others that you may have heard before. It’s a nice record that will come to you soon. “

In December, Neil made his music archive available for free on his website for the remainder of 2020.

The folk icon gave his fans his entire career online for Christmas to feel a little at ease during the COVID-19 pandemic.

He said at the time: “We are fine here and we feel good. We hope you are doing well too.

“When you are locked up, we are there for you and can watch movies for hours and drive through the years. We want you to enjoy what we have to share in NYA … It’s my music and our life. Peace.”

Releases included the Archives Volume II: 1972-1976 box set and his Fireside Sessions, which included a cover of Bob Dylan’s “The Times They Are A-Changin”.

Meanwhile, Neil recently sold 50 percent of his music catalog, valued at an estimated $ 150 million (£ 110 million), to the Hipgnosis Songs Fund.

Half of Neil’s music collection is 1,180 songs.

GOP Sen. says Trump impeachment trial may set a harmful precedent

Ohio Republican Senator Rob Portman told CNBC why he had joined 44 other Republicans to deny the constitutionality of the charges against former President Donald Trump.

“I think the constitutional question needs to be addressed and not tabled and not put aside, and as a juror I will listen to both sides, but we have to deal with the constitutional question and the precedent that would create. So if you look at the constitution … it’s about the distance, and this is a private person now, Donald Trump, not a president, “Portman said during a pre-recorded interview Thursday night “The news with Shepard Smith.”

Kentucky Senator Rand Paul initiated charges of dismissing the constitutionality of the trial. Firstly, on the grounds that Trump is no longer in office, and secondly, given that the Senate President Patrick Leahy (D-VT) is presiding over the process in place of the Supreme Court Justice John Roberts becomes.

Roberts led Trump’s first impeachment trial, but he won’t repeat the role a second time. Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer from New York told Rachel Maddow of MSNBC Show on Monday that the decision to chair it was Roberts’.

“The constitution says that the chief judge presides over a seated president,” said Schumer. “So it won’t be so – so it was up to John Roberts to see if he wanted to preside over a president who is no longer in office, Trump. And he doesn’t want to do it.”

Portman told host Shepard Smith he was concerned about the precedent this impeachment trial could set.

“Think about the precedent of saying that Republicans could go after President Obama or President Clinton or Democrats George W. Bush as a private citizen,” Portman said.

Portman had previously specified that Trump has “some responsibility” for the January 6th uprising in the Capitol. He did not support Trump’s efforts to scrap the 2020 election results and voted to maintain the certified January 6 election results and delayed the count.

Smith pressed Portman on what he thought was an appropriate punishment for Trump.

“A proper consequence, as I have said very clearly, is that people speak before, openly and during and after, and I think that it is also important that the House acted, so there have been consequences that way . ” said Portman.

Portman announced that he will not seek re-election next year, but will serve his term until January 3, 2023. He said he “will not miss out on politics and partisanship, and that will get more difficult over time.” “”