This is an on-going series of online activities that you can do on your computer or tablet during your quarantine problem.
Lectures & learning
• The Yiddish Arts and Academics Association of North America is presenting “Not Your Usual Intensive Yiddish Language and Culture Program for Spring” online starting Monday, February 22, 8:00 am. The program includes Yiddish courses, activities and cultural programs and runs through Sunday March 7th. yaaana.com/new-yiddish-program
• Vanguard Culture presents “Money Making for Creatives: Adaptation and Success in Uncertain Times” on Monday, February 22nd at 12:00 noon. Shaun Cassidy, business growth strategist, will discuss how to make your art practice marketable and profitable. Recommended donation $ 5. bit.ly/vanguardmoney
• UC San Diego presents “The Fear Factor: Investigating Suspicion and Vaccines” online on Monday, February 22nd at 5:00 pm. The first of five virtual “Evenings of Unconventional Wisdom” offers a discussion of negative public perceptions of vaccines and how to build confidence in health technology. bit.ly/ucsdfearfactor
Alexandre Colas is one of the speakers scheduled online for Tuesday, February 23rd for the Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute’s How to Fix a Broken Heart.
• The Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute is presenting “How to Fix a Broken Heart” online on Tuesday, February 23rd at 1:00 pm. SBP researchers will discuss the science that protects, repairs, and regenerates a sick heart. Free. bit.ly/sbpHeart
• The League of Women Voters of San Diego presents “Power Struggle” online on Wednesday, February 24th at 11:30 am. The webinar will discuss the arguments for and against privatizing the city’s gas and electricity utilities. Free. bit.ly/lowvpower
• UC San Diego presents “A Conversation With Kevin Young” online on Wednesday, February 24th at 5:30 pm. Young, a poet, author, and director of the Smithsonian Institution’s National Museum of African American History and Culture, will examine his most recent work, “African American Poetry: 250 Years of Fighting and Singing.” Free. bit.ly/ucsdkevinyoung.
• Gelson will present the “Far Niente Wine Tasting Event” online on Wednesday, February 24th at 6pm. The event offers two wines paired with cheese and sausage platters at special prices. Registration and advance payment by February 23; Pick up from Gelson’s Del Mar (2707 Via de la Valle), Pacific Beach (730 Turquoise St.) or Carlsbad (7660 El Camino Real). gelsons.com/farniente
• Warwick’s Bookstore will be presented by author Ruth Druart on Thursday, February 25th at 12:00 PM on Facebook Live. Druart will discuss her new book “While Paris Slept” with Sarah Sleeper. Free. warwicks.com/event/druart-2021
Family & children
• The Center for Community Solutions offers a series of online workshops on healthy relationships every Thursday through March 4 at 4:00 pm. Aimed at those ages 13 to 24, the workshops focus on preventing dating violence, covering topics such as communication and jealousy (February 18), technology and consent (February 25), and unpacking messages in Porn (March 4th). Free. bit.ly/TDVAMworkshops
Art and culture
• The Belly Up in Solana Beach presents the 12th annual bash for the 50th birthday of Steve Poltz online on Friday, February 19th at 7pm. The livestream event continues Poltz’s tradition of celebrating his birthday at The Belly Up. $ 20. bit.ly/poltz50th
• The La Jolla Music Society will present “Jazz in the Lincoln Center Orchestra Septet with Wynton Marsalis” online on Saturday, February 20th at 7pm. The free event features Pulitzer Prize-winning composer “The Democracy! Suite.” ljms.org
Get the La Jolla Light in your inbox every week
News, features and sports about La Jolla every Thursday.
Enter your email address
Sign me up
Occasionally you will receive promotional content from the Del Mar Times.
• The Belly Up in Solana Beach presents The White Buffalo’s “Songs of Anarchy” concert on Sunday, February 21st at 5pm online. The White Buffalo is Jake Smith, singer, songwriter, guitarist, storyteller, and Emmy nominee. $ 10. bauchuplive.com/the-white-buffalo
• The San Diego State University Chinese Cultural Center, the San Diego Chinese History Museum, the SDSU Jewish Institute, and Emanuel-El Temple will host an online screening of “Above the Drowning Sea” on Sunday, February 21. The film tells the story of Jews who fled Nazi-controlled Vienna in the middle of the 20th century and found refuge in Shanghai, China. The screening includes commentary from the director and producer of the film. For more information, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Point Loma Playhouse presents the online streaming “The Meeting” from February 26th to 28th. The Jeff Stetson drama depicts a hypothetical meeting between Martin Luther King Jr. and Malcolm X. Directed by Jerry Pilato with Rhys Greene and JK Weldon. $ 10 and more. bit.ly/themeetingptloma
• Writing aloud, the San Diego Public Library, La Jolla Historical Society, and San Diego Writers Ink are launching the San Diego Decameron Project online on Friday, February 26th at 7:00 pm. 25 judges selected the 100 best unpublished stories from San Diegans. The winners will be published on the websites of the above partners. The 10 most compelling stories will be read by Write Out Loud actors at the event on February 26th. Free. writeoutloud.ticketspice.com/san-diego-decameron-project-celebration
Virtual galas & events
• United Way of San Diego County and Warwick’s La Jolla Bookstore are hosting a virtual book promotion for National Read Across America Day through Friday, March 12th. Local businesses and individuals are encouraged to donate new children’s books. uwsd.org.
• Encinitas4Equality presents the virtual benefit concert of Black History Month on Saturday, February 27th at 6pm online. The event will be attended by artists, the E4E leadership team and others to support black businesses and the reopening of the BIPOC Collective Storefront & Multicultural Community Center in Encinitas. $ 50 and above; Some packages include dinner and drinks and must be purchased by Saturday, February 20 for delivery through the event. bit.ly/E4Econcert
What entertainment and other activities have you found from (social) distance? Email your leads to email@example.com. ◆