Harvey Weinstein ordered extradited to Los Angeles to face intercourse costs

Harvey Weinstein leaves the courtroom in New York City with attorney Benjamin Brafman before the New York State Supreme Court on October 11, 2018.

Stephanie Keith | Getty Images

Harvey Weinstein, the once famous film producer convicted of rape last year, was ordered on Tuesday to be extradited from New York to be charged with sexual assault in Los Angeles.

Weinstein, who is currently serving a 23-year sentence in New York State, is charged with rape, sexual harassment and other crimes in connection with five incidents that allegedly occurred between 2004 and 2013.

CNBC policy

Read more about CNBC’s political coverage:

His lawyers fought extradition to Los Angeles last year, citing, among other things, his poor health.

But Erie County, New York, Judge Kenneth Case ultimately dismissed her arguments on Tuesday.

The Los Angeles Times reported that Weinstein, 69, is unlikely to move to California until July at the earliest.

Weinstein faces up to 140 years in prison if convicted in the Los Angeles case.

Weinstein became the face of the #MeToo movement in 2017 after The New Yorker magazine and the New York Times published articles describing allegations by women alleging that he committed rampant sexual misconduct against them.

The co-founder of the entertainment company Miramax was convicted by the Manhattan Supreme Court in February 2020 a first-degree criminal sexual act against production assistant Mimi Haleyi in 2006; and third-degree rape for assaulting aspiring actress Jessica Mann in a hotel room in 2013.

Weinstein’s lawyers appealed his conviction in April.

During his career, Weinstein has produced award-winning films such as Pulp Fiction, Shakespeare in Love and Gangs of New York.

Congress members urge state for Harvey aid cash

The Texan GLO said neither Houston nor Harris County scored high enough on their application to receive a portion of the $ 1 billion federal funding for Harvey aid.

HOUSTON – Members of Congress urge the state to change its plan for flood protection after Hurricane Harvey US Department of Housing and Urban Development to Houston and Harris County were Funding refused.

Last week the Texas General Land Office Neither Houston nor Harris County scored high on their application to receive a portion of the $ 1 billion federal funding intended to help protect areas post Harvey from flooding.

According to criticism from local guides, Texas Land Commissioner George P. Bush On Wednesday, he said he was calling on Harris County’s HUD to raise $ 750 million for flood control.

The change came hours later Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo tweeted a letter Signed by Harris County Commissioners and Houston Councilmembers sent to Bush for lack of funding.

The money Bush is asking for is only for the county, not the city of Houston.

“In no universe should the people of Houston and Harris Counties be denied adequate funding for the damage caused by the catastrophic floods that occurred not only during Hurricane Harvey in 2017, but also during other floods in 2015 and.” 2016 occurred, “Rep. Al Said Green during a press conference Thursday.

Green said he is calling on the GLO to ensure the Houstonians receive adequate funding for Harvey and for future flood events.

“If the plan is not changed and then approved by the HUD, no one gets any money,” he said.

WATCH LIVE | Members of Congress from the Houston area are calling for the #txglo Approve appropriate Harvey funding for Houston and Harris Counties. # KHOU11

LIVE VIDEO: https://t.co/ylkefv6R7B pic.twitter.com/2coyfPk0Eh

– KHOU 11 News Houston (@KHOU) May 27, 2021

In a press release on Wednesday, Bush blamed “federal government bureaucratic requirements and complex regulations” for omitting Harris County. Green disagreed.

“Whether on purpose or by accident, Commissioner Bush politicizes the needs of our constituents,” Green said. “Harvey was not a democratic disaster. It wasn’t a Republican flood. Blaming the Biden administration is not a good strategy. “

Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee said the GLO has no authority to remove the areas from the list because Texas has not yet submitted its amended plan.

“This revised plan could raise Houston and Harris Counties likely in excess of $ 750 million,” said Jackson Lee.

Jacinto City, Pasadena and Galena Park – all cities in the Rep. Sylvia Garcia district – are on the GLO list. But Garcia said all cities in Harris County should be on the list.

“The fact remains that all cities in the county and the county itself have been affected and should get their fair share,” Garcia said. “Any matrix, formula, or scheme in which Houston and Harris Counties get zero is just flawed.”

Rep. Lizzie Fletcher said it was not the intent of Congress that Houston and Harris Counties not receive funding. She said members of Congress are working to make sure the areas get the funding they need.

“We spoke to HUD. We spoke to people in the (Biden) administration. We have spoken to our local partners and we are all working together and we will work with our partners to make sure we get our fair share, ”said Fletcher.