FORMULA E avoided an F1-style controversy in the Middle East after the Round 2 race in Saudi Arabia was ended behind the safety car.
Unlike bungling F1 race director Michael Masi, who fudged the outcome of the Abu Dhabi GP, his opposite number at the all-electric series, Scot Elkins, stuck to the rules as the race ended under yellow flags.
But Mortara won round two of the Saudi race as officials stuck to protocolCredit: GERMAIN HAZARD / Every Second Media / DPPI
Swiss racer Edoardo Mortara held on to win his third ePrix for the Venturi team, whose CEO, Susie Wolff is married to Mercedes F1 boss Toto Wolff.
Mortara said: “I am glad to bring the win to the team and I have now won three races.
“This was a strategic race. It was difficult for the nerves because I didn’t have much battery energy.
“It was the same for my colleagues around me, who tried to put me under pressure. But I tried to keep my head cool and it worked.”
The Abu Dhabi debacle – which resulted in Sir Lewis Hamilton being controversially pipped to a record-breaking eighth F1 title by Max Verstappen – is still being investigated by the FIA.
A statement on Saturday read: “At this stage, no decision has been taken on the outcome of the detailed analysis currently underground into the events of the last Formula 1 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.
“As previously announced, the findings of this detailed analysis will be presented at the F1 Commission meeting in London on 14th February after an open discussion with all F1 drivers and then finally have to be approved at the World Motor Sport Council meeting on 18th March in Bahrain, under the authority of FIA President Mohammed Ben Sulayem.”
Hamilton, 37, has remained tight-lipped since the race and reportedly won’t decide his future until the outcome of the inquiry is known.
But Williams team boss Jost Capito recons the seven-time F1 king should make way for a younger driver.
Capito told German outlet RTL: “I don’t care about it.
“I don’t really care whether he drives or not. [It’s] totally irrelevant, really totally irrelevant.”
Lewis Hamilton has yet to decide his future since being pipped to an eighth F1 title by Max VerstappenCredit: PA
“They always say there are not enough places for young drivers and then I think, if someone has been World Champion seven times.
“He has actually done enough and could make room for a youngster, why not?”
The new F1 season, in which Dutchman Verstappen will bid to defend his controversially-claimed world title, will get commenced on March 20.
FREE BETS: GET OVER £2,000 IN NEW CUSTOMER DEALS