Authorities denies Bezos’ Blue Origin protest over NASA HLS contract

Jeff Bezos, owner of Blue Origin, unveils a new lunar module called the Blue Moon during an event at the Washington Convention Center on May 9, 2019 in Washington, DC.

Mark Wilson | Getty Images

The US government accountability office on Friday rejected protests from companies affiliated with it Jeff Bezos that NASA has wrongly awarded a lucrative lunar lander contract exclusively to astronauts Elon Musks SpaceX.

The complaints were filed by Jeff Bezos ‘Blue Origin and Leidos’ subsidiary Dynetics.

“NASA did not violate public procurement laws or regulations when it decided to award only one award … the evaluation of all three proposals was reasonable and in line with applicable public procurement laws, regulations and the terms of the announcement,” said Kenneth. , Managing Associate General Counsel of GAO Patton wrote in a statement.

The GAO ruling supports the Space Agency’s surprise announcement in April that NASA has placed an order with SpaceX valued at approximately $ 2.9 billion. SpaceX was likely to compete with Blue Origin and Dynetics for two contracts before NASA awarded a single contract due to a lower allocation to the program from Congress.

NASA, in a statement, said the GAO decision will enable the agency “to set a schedule for the first manned landing on the moon in more than 50 years”.

“As soon as possible, NASA will provide an update on the way forward for Artemis, the human landing system, and the return of mankind to the moon. We will continue to work with the Biden administration and Congress to secure funding for a robust and sustainable approach. “For the nation’s return to the moon in collaboration with US trading partners,” the US space agency said.

A spokesperson for Blue Origin told CNBC that the company still believes that “there were fundamental issues with NASA’s decision, but GAO couldn’t address it due to its limited jurisdiction.”

“We will continue to advocate two immediate vendors as we believe this is the right solution,” said Blue Origin. “The Human Landing System program must have competition now instead of later – that is the best solution for NASA and the best solution for our country.”

SpaceX and Dynetics did not respond to CNBC requests for comment. For his part, Musk commented on the GAO’s decision in a tweet with a single emoji for the flexing arm.

NASA decision

Prototype spacecraft rocket SN15 launches from Boca Chica, Texas.

SpaceX

The GAO protest ruling resolves a dispute over NASA’s Human Landing System program, one of the final key elements in the agency’s plan to return US astronauts to the lunar surface.

Prior to the recent award, NASA had placed nearly $ 1 billion in concept development contracts – SpaceX received $ 135 million, Dynetics received 253 million, and Blue Origin received $ 579 million.

When choosing SpaceX for the next round of development, NASA decided to fund a variation of SpaceX Spaceship rocket, the prototype of which SpaceX has tested at its development site in Boca Chica, Texas.

NASA plans to have their astronauts use Starship to transfer from the agency’s Orion spacecraft when the capsule reaches lunar orbit.

Protests from Blue Origin and Dynetics

Shortly after NASA’s announcement in April, Blue Origin and Dynetics each filed protests with the GAOquestioning the space agency’s process and decision.

Blue Origin condemned the award as “flawed” in April, saying NASA “moved the goal posts at the last minute”.

The company also announced that its $ 5.99 billion bid was roughly double that of SpaceX. NASA later announced that Dynetics’ bid was even higher at $ 8.5 billion.

One effect of the protests is that NASA was unable to advance work on HLS with SpaceX, with work on the program essentially being suspended pending the GAO’s decision.

Bezos’ counter

Shortly after he flew into space himself on Blue Origin’s first manned flight, Bezos wrote a letter to NASA earlier this week that he would cover up to $ 2 billion in the space agency’s cost for a lunar landing contract.

“We stand ready to help NASA moderate its technical risks and resolve its budget constraints and get the Artemis program back on a more competitive, credible and sustainable path,” Bezos wrote in the letter.

Blue Origin communications vice president Linda Mills told CNBC in an email that Bezos had “made no change to the offering” following the GAO ruling.

Become a smarter investor with CNBC Pro.
Get stock picks, analyst calls, exclusive interviews and access to CNBC TV.
Sign in to get started Try it for free today.

Manson denies abuse allegations from actor Esmé Bianco | Leisure

Manson and Bianco began a long-distance relationship later in 2009, the suit reads.

Manson brought Bianco back to Los Angeles in 2011, ostensibly to appear in his feature film “Phantasmagoria,” although that project never came about.

During that visit, Manson did not allow Bianco to leave the house without his permission, chased her through her apartment with an ax, cut her with a “Nazi knife” without her consent, and photographed the cuts and posted the pictures online, even without hers The lawsuit claims consent.

“It took Ms. Bianco years to understand the extent of Mr. Warner’s physical, sexual, psychological and emotional abuse. Her career suffered as her mental health deteriorated, ”the suit reads. “To this day, she deals with complex post-traumatic stress disorders, anxiety, depression and panic attacks.”

The Associated Press generally does not identify anyone who claims to have been sexually assaulted, but Bianco said in a statement that she is going public to spread her allegations in the hope that others will do the same.

The lawsuit said Bianco feared for her safety at the time if she did not comply with Manson’s demands and did not go to the authorities. But her attorney, Jay D. Ellwanger, said she has now reached out and spoken to the FBI and local law enforcement.

Nick Chubb denies declare he took cash to remain at Georgia his senior yr

Getty Images

Browns run back Nick Chubb Denies an allegation he accepted cash payments to stay in Georgia for his senior year.

A Georgia high school soccer coach named Rush Propst has claimed that when Chubb decided to return to Georgia for his senior season in 2017 instead of entering the NFL draft, Chubb gave Chubb a total of $ 180,000 to help him convince.

“If I needed money, I would have gone for #fakenews,” Chubb said tweeted.

Propst claimed in a secretly taped conversation that both Georgia and Alabama routinely pay players cash.