Harvard Enterprise College briefly strikes some MBA courses on-line to curb Covid outbreak

Harvard Business School

Brooks Kraft LLC | Corbis | Getty Images

Harvard Business School put all classroom MBA and some sophomore courses online this week and increased their numbers Covid-19 Testing requirements to curb the recent surge in groundbreaking cases on campus.

The Boston school is moving to distance learning by October 3 to try to quell the virus that primarily infects the university’s fully vaccinated students, according to the institution’s website. Around 95% of the students and 96% of the university staff are vaccinated. More than 1,000 students are enrolled at the Business School in the 2023 class.

“Contact tracers who have worked with positive cases highlight that the broadcast does not take place in classrooms or other academic settings on campus,” business school spokesman Mark Cautela said in a statement. “Nor does it occur with people who are masked.”

Cautela added that the university urges students to avoid unmasked indoor events, group travel, and meeting people outside their household.

The business school is also ordering Covid tests for all students three times a week, regardless of vaccination status, Cautela said. The university previously required fully vaccinated students to get tested once a week, while unvaccinated students had to submit test results twice a week.

Harvard students account for the majority of active Covid cases on campus, according to the school’s online coronavirus dashboard. The university conducted 41,864 Covid tests from September 20 to September 25 and found that graduate students accounted for 60 of the 74 positive test results recorded over those six days.

Harvard reports that 87 students are currently isolating after exposure to Covid while 28 students are in quarantine. Masks remain mandatory in all Harvard interiors.

State cash earmarked for ‘boots on the bottom’ efforts to curb Buffalo gun violence

BUFFALO, NY (WIVB) – Four Buffalo state lawmakers are pouring more money onto the streets of Queen City to curb violence. On Tuesday, Senators Tim Kennedy and Sean Ryan and Reps Crystal Peoples-Stokes and Jon Rivera announced that $ 200,000 raised during the state budget process has been allocated to Buffalo Peacemakers and the Stop the Violence Coalition.

“This money will go a long way in helping the peacemakers and stopping the violence to create just that: peace,” said Senator Kennedy.

Peace is urgently needed. According to the Erie County District Attorney’s Office, there were 49 homicides in Buffalo as of Tuesday, 2021. With that, the city is on track to hit a record 94 murders from 1994.

Pastor James Giles, who heads Back to Basics Ministries, said the state money would be used to hire people to provide local community involvement.

“We’re not looking for administrative stuff. We have administrative help, ”said Giles. “We’re looking for boots on the ground.”

Meanwhile, James P. Kennedy, the US attorney for the Western District of New York, is preparing to meet with staff from the Stop the Violence Coalition and Back to Basics on Wednesday to discuss efforts to reduce gun violence. Kennedy has already announced the creation of a task force to aim to reduce violence through more targeted enforcement and state law enforcement.

US Attorney Kennedy says it is critical that the community understand the goal.

“We target members of the community for their behavior and these extreme acts of violence,” Kennedy said. “There’s a reason law enforcement can focus there because that’s where the violence takes place.”

The meeting will take place on Wednesday at 4:00 p.m. in the Back to Basics office on William St. Members of the community are very welcome.

Chris Horvatits is an award-winning presenter and reporter who has been part of the News 4 team since 2017. See more of his work Here.

Native eighth graders increase cash for group attempting to curb shootings in Charlottesville’s Black group

A group of eighth graders from Burley Middle School in Albemarle County raised $ 500 this year for an organization working to reduce the number of gunfights in Charlottesville.

The students are part of a new club founded by consultant Andrew Davis called the Social Justice Club.

The idea behind the club was initially to give interested students a space to talk about race and other social issues. But after several months of meetings, the children decided to do more than just talk.

“We talked about different issues of race, about stereotypes, about institutional racism and its presence in schools,” said Ingrid Flaherty, one of the four main members of the group. “And finally we started to think about what happens if we stop talking and start doing something. So we talked about what we can do to help the people in the church. That’s how we started our fundraising campaign. “

Before they could get started, the group had to decide where to donate the money they raised.

They wanted to find an organization that would make a difference in a disadvantaged community. They threw around a few ideas, then Davis came across one Article in Charlottesville tomorrow about a new group working to reduce the shootings in the city’s black community.

The article contained the story of a Burley student, Claude Booker Jr., who witnessed an ambush shooting right outside his front door.

“When I saw that you had recorded excerpts from Claud, it seemed perfect,” Davis said to Charlottesville tomorrow.

The group called BUCK Squad, Brothers United, to stop the killing began in January in response to an alarming increase in shootings and murders in the local black community. It is made up of native blacks, mostly men, many of whom were once violent themselves.

These life-changed men are now acting as mediators, working to interrupt conflict in their community before it turns violent.

“One of the things I wanted to highlight with this fundraiser was why it was so valuable because we turned the people in a community into experts in their community as opposed to outside people who went into a community trying to fix something, “said Davis.

The students agreed. They designed posters saying “Everyone is welcome” and offered them for sale to teachers and other people in their school.

They sold quickly.

“When we got the first responses to the Google form, I screamed,” said club member Charlotte Sargent. “I jumped up and down. It was so exciting that we had worked on it for months and could finally do something with it. “

After receiving the students’ donation, the leaders of the BUCK team met with them through Zoom to discuss their group and their work.

“I found it really fascinating that they were literally risking their lives,” said Leen Nouri, who was the club’s first member and who came up with his name. “It’s a charitable cause, they only did this to protect the community. That really got me motivated, you know? “

“Yeah, it was really inspiring,” continued Flaherty. “They said they were the people who had guns in their hands earlier in their lives and that they had returned to the community to try to stop the violence that was happening.”

After the money has been collected and the donation made, all students are now determined to collect donations for a good cause again.

However, whether they do this through the Social Justice Club or some other group is unclear. With the fundraiser closed and the year almost over, the future of the Social Justice Club is in the air. The four senior high school students who regularly attend will all be going to high school next year.

Members are working to recruit younger students to continue their work for the next year. They are also looking at ways to expand the club to other schools in the district.

“I feel like my whole job here is to raise their voices,” said Davis. “So if that’s something you want to do, I’ll work hard to make it happen.”

Metropolis, state to curb confusion over alien occasions in Roswell | Leisure

ROSWELL, NM (AP) – New Mexico tourism officials have raised concerns that people are mistaking a UFO festival for extraterrestrial events in downtown because of searches for similar domain names online.

The 2021 Roswell UFO Festival will receive a marketing boost after the New Mexico Department of Tourism approves it for its Strategic Events Restoration initiative, a pilot program designed to help cultural events move away from the economic decline caused by the pandemic, the Roswell Daily Record , to recover reported.

Public affairs director Juanita Jennings told the Roswell City Council Finance Committee Thursday that the festival was one of 13 special events across the state, selected from more than 100 applicants.

The program will provide a team of event professionals to provide technical assistance, sponsor the events, and provide collaborative funding for promotion. The state has raised messaging concerns, however, as Roswell also hosts its first annual Alien Festival.

City Manager Joe Neeb said the confusion was due in part to online search results for the UFO Festival, which often provide a website for Mainstreet Roswell’s Alien Fest – www.ufofestivalroswell.com. But the official UFO Festival website that launched on Thursday is www.ufofestival.com.