State company provides tricks to save time, cash, stress throughout wildfire evacuations

Fire alarm

SALEM, Ore. (KTVZ) – The Bootleg, Jack and Grandview forest fires triggered several evacuation orders. The Oregon Division of Financial Regulation has Forest Fire Insurance Resources available to help people on every level of evacuation.

By doing these chores, you and your family can save time, money, and stress before, during, and after wildfire.

Evacuation level 3: When you receive the level 3 order, please leave your home ASAP.

  • If it is safe, tell your insurance company that you have been asked to evacuate. Confirm your insurance coverage, your deductible and your specific coverage limits.
  • Save all receipts. Many insurance companies help cover expenses such as room and board and animal boarding.
  • Work on a home inventory list.
    • Review photos and videos to remember personal belongings. Pay close attention to the background and look for smaller items like jewelry.
    • To the best of your knowledge, write down the age, original cost, and replacement cost of each item.

Evacuation level 1 and 2:

  • Contact your insurance company to review your policy.
    • Ask about deductibles and specific coverage limits
    • Ask about the automatic coverage. You need comprehensive insurance for your vehicle to cover damage caused by a forest fire.
  • Do a quick home inventory.
    • Take photos of every room in your home. Don’t forget storage spaces like the attic, shed, and garage.
    • Check your insurance company’s website for an app or checklist that will help.
  • Build a financial backpack.
    • Gather important financial documents such as passports, social security cards, insurance policies, titles, deeds, and financial accounts.
    • Make copies or scan them to your phone or computer.
  • Put all information with your emergency supplies so that you have this information at hand during the evacuation.

Outside the evacuation zone: The time to prepare is now.
Follow the department’s disaster preparedness tips at disaster

Additional resources are available on the department’s website Forest Fire Insurance Resources Page.

If you have any questions about insurance coverage, contact your insurance company or broker. If you still have any questions or concerns, the Consumer Advisory Team at the Financial Regulation Department can help.
• Call 888-877-4894 (toll free)
• Email
• Visit
About DCBS: The Department of Consumer and Business Services is Oregon’s largest regulatory and consumer protection agency. For more information, visit

About Oregon DFR: The Financial Regulation Department is part of the Department of Consumer and Business Services, Oregon’s largest regulatory and consumer protection agency in Oregon. visit and

Community / Community Billboard