FLINT, me. – On Monday, lawyers for Flint residents were given the opportunity to bring their case that the $ 650 million settlement with the state is simply not enough because of the water crisis.
A total of 50,000 people have signed up to receive a stake, and many of them are unsatisfied with a variety of issues, including $ 200 million in legal fees.
Flint, is still grappling with the effects of the water crisis. Now the fight for money. From Monday, the victims’ lawyers pleaded for more money in court. Soon the victims will tell their own stories.
Here’s a look at the numbers.
Money mostly for kids, businesses hit by the lead water crisis
Comparative deal for $ 640 million
Lawyers charge 32% legal fees
Balance about $ 435 million
When the deal was first announced, the governor was optimistic.
“It is our duty to make the best offer to Flint’s children and families,” said Michigan’s Governor Gretchen Whitmer.
But since then, some, including Flint’s former mayor, have been saying the number should be closer to 1 billion.
“It’s just not enough for those who have suffered,” said former Flint Mayor Karen Weaver.
Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel released the statement on Monday.
“Our state owes the people of Flint a path to healing, not a lengthy legal back-and-forth. I continue to hope that this agreement will be finally approved to get us all on this path. We recognize that no amount of money will ever remove the damage done, but this comparison should serve as a reminder of our commitment to the people of Flint, the city and their future, ”said Nessel.
Copyright 2021 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit – All rights reserved.