This provides an ongoing set of online activities to do on your computer or tablet during your quarantine dilemma, as well as local personal events as we emerge from the pandemic.
• The Mount Soledad National Veterans Memorial is hosting a Memorial Day Memorial Day event online and in person on Monday, May 31st at 12:00 noon on 6905 La Jolla Scenic Drive South. The event will honor Air Force Airman 1st Class William Pitsenbarger, a posthumous Medal of Honor recipient whose story of heroism during the Vietnam War was portrayed in the recent film The Last Full Measure. Free. Memorialdaylive.com
Lectures & learning
• League of Women Voters San Diego presents “Meet San Diego’s New Councilmembers” online on Thursday, May 27th at 11:30 am. Councilor Joe LaCava (District 1), Council Chairman Pro Tem Stephen Whitburn (District 3) and Councilor Raul Campillo (District 7) will discuss why they ran for office this year and what their priorities are. Free. bit.ly/LOWVMay
• UC San Diego presents “Crossing Borders: Exploring San Diego’s Dynamic Binational Region” online on Thursday, May 27th at 5:00 pm. The event, which is part of the university’s “Evenings of Unconventional Wisdom” series, looks at the challenges and opportunities that border communities face. Free. bit.ly/UCSDBinational
Art and culture
• Project [BLANK] Olivier Messiaen’s “Harawi” will be presented online on Friday, May 28th at 7pm and on Sunday, May 30th, at 2pm. The concert will feature original video art by Anna Chiaretta Lavatelli mixed live with performances by mezzo-soprano Leslie Ann Leytham and pianist Brendan Nguyen and performed at the Front Arte & Cultura Gallery in San Ysidro. $ 20 for general admission; $ 10 for students and seniors. bit.ly/HarawiLive
• The San Diego Symphony will present an online preview of the Rady Shell at 7:00 pm on Friday, May 28, in Jacobs Park, the orchestra’s state-of-the-art venue on the Bay. Music theater star Bryonha Marie will perform classic and modern Broadway plays. The Rady Shell will be open for live performances this summer. $ 25. sandiegosymphony.org/digitalpass
Warwick’s Bookstore and the Rancho Santa Fe Library Guild are proud to present author Steven Rowley online on Wednesday June 2nd.
• Warwick’s Bookstore and the Rancho Santa Fe Library Guild will be showcasing author Steven Rowley on Wednesday, June 2nd at 4pm on Facebook Live. Rowley will be discussing his new book “The Guncle” with Byron Lane. Free. warwicks.com/event/rowley-2021
• Coronado Playhouse presents “Constellations”, which will be streamed online until Sunday, May 30th. The piece is about the infinite possibilities within a relationship. $ 15 using the San Diego Theater Week promotional code SDTW21. coronadoplayhouse.org/constellations
• Point Loma Playhouse presents “A Provincetown Playhouse Retrospective,” which will be streamed online through Monday, May 31st. Two short pieces can be seen: “Before Breakfast” by Eugene O’Neill and “Aria de Capo” by Edna St. Vincent-Millay. Free. pointlomaplayhouse.com
• The Athenaeum Music & Arts Library will continue its lecture series on the artist Joseph Beuys on Tuesday, June 1st at 6.30 pm online. The five-week course, led by art historian Victoria Martino, celebrates Beuys’ 100th birthday. The fourth lecture discusses his later years and his death 1972-86. $ 14 per talk for Athenaeum members; $ 19 for non-members. ljathenaeum.org/art-history-lectures
One by Quint Gallery presents Heartsong, a new painting by La Jolla-based artist Peter Halasz, until Saturday, June 19, at 7722 Girard Ave.
(Courtesy Peter Halasz and One by Quint Gallery)
• One by Quint Gallery presents Heartsong, a new painting by La Jolla-based artist Peter Halasz, on Girard Ave until Saturday, June 19th. 7722. The concept of the exhibition is to show only one work of art at a time to promote the idea of “slow art” where the viewer can spend up to an hour on a single work. Free; only by appointment. Email email@example.com or text (858) 454-3409.
Galas & Events
• Voices for Children is hosting its annual judges luncheon online on Tuesday June 1st at 12:00 noon. A jury will discuss the complexity of the dependency system, the effects of COVID-19 on children in foster care, and the role of court-appointed voluntary special lawyers. Free. speakupnow.org/judges-luncheon
• St. Germaine Children’s Charity will have their June lunch on Tuesday, June 8th at 11:00 AM at Lot La Jolla, 7611 Fay Ave. Social service leaders for whom St. Germaine is fundraising will be in attendance to receive awards and meet with guests. $ 60. Email Janice Farnow at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Center for Community Solutions is hosting its “Tea & Tonic with a Twist” online and in person on Friday, June 18 at 2:00 pm at Coasterra, 880 Harbor Island Drive, San Diego. The event features live music, a silent auction and author Chanel Miller. $ 150 and up for virtual or in-person. ccssd.org/tea-tonic-2021
Do you have an event – online or in person – that you would like to see here? Email your leads to email@example.com. ◆