The La Jolla Light showcases this ongoing series of online activities that you can do on your computer or tablet, as well as local in-person events following the COVID-19 pandemic.
Lectures & learning
• The pen to paper writer class will be held on Thursday, July 8th at 1:00 pm at La Jolla / Riford Library, 7555 Draper Ave. continued. The course is open to authors of all skill levels, ages 18+, and continues weekly. Free. (858) 552-1657
Linda Bradley is one of the panelists who will speak online at the Sanford Burnham Prebys webinar “Immunotherapy – Helping Our Bodies Heal Cancer” on Tuesday July 13th.
(Courtesy Sanford Burnham Prebys)
• Sanford Burnham Prebys presents “Immunotherapy – Help Our Bodies Heal Cancer” online on Tuesday, July 13th at 1:00 pm. The webinar will present information from SBP researchers on immunotherapy and will include a question-and-answer session. Free. bit.ly/SBPJuly13
• PEN America, Global Cyber Alliance and Freedom of the Press Foundation will present “A Hands-On Anti-Hacking, Anti-Doxing Workshop” online on Wednesday, July 14th at 10 am. The webinar, part of a “Summer Bootcamp on Digital Security and Preventing Online Abuse,” covers tools and strategies to make yourself, your work and your company safer online. Future dates are Wednesday July 21st and Thursday July 22nd. Free. bit.ly/DigitalSafetyBootcamp
• The San Diego County’s Bicycle Coalition will launch City Cycling online on Thursday, July 15 at 6:00 pm. The class is designed to help drivers feel more comfortable on the road. Topics include general bicycle safety, legal rights and obligations, and emergency maneuvering skills. Free. sdbikecoalition.org/basic-road-safety-class
Family & children
• The La Jolla Chapter of the Urban Garden Initiative is holding a succulent growing workshop for elementary and middle school students on Saturday, July 10th at 10:30 am at Marian Bear Memorial Park, 5491 Genesee Ave, San Diego. Participants are given a juicy and sustainable pot to grow in. Free. Send an email to email@example.com.
Art and culture
• The San Diego Repertory Theater, La Jolla Playhouse and The Old Globe present “We are Listening” online on Thursday, July 8th at 5:30 pm. The bi-weekly salon, which celebrates and discusses black theater life, continues with guest Miki Vale, an international hip-hop artist, an Old Globe commissioned playwright and founder of the SoulKiss Theater. Free. bit.ly/WALVale
• The La Jolla Art Association opens the “Alive by the Sea” exhibition with a reception from 2.30pm to 5.30pm Friday, July 9th, at the La Jolla Community Center, 6811 La Jolla Blvd. Mixed media painter Lindsay Ahart, oil painter Daniel Kilgore, photographer Gloria Moeller and watercolor painter Minnie Valero discuss the stories behind their art. The exhibition runs until Saturday, July 31st. Free. Registration, masks and proof of COVID-19 vaccination are required. ljcommunitycenter.org/art-receptions
• ENA Art Group will show the work of La Jolla-based artist Paul Kaplan starting Saturday, July 10th at 11am at the Sparks Gallery, 530 Sixth Ave., San Diego. Kaplan is an artist at Arredon Art Gallery, supported by the ENA Art Group. The exhibition, a collaboration between several local art galleries, runs until Saturday July 31st. Free. enaartgroup.com
• Live jazz returns to the Athenaeum Music & Arts Library with Farrell Family Jazz, a series of summer concerts starting on Saturday, July 10th at 7:30 pm at 1008 Wall Street, La Jolla. The first concert will be presented by the Larry Goldings Quartet with Goldings on piano, David Piltch on bass, Jay Bellerose on drums and Sebastian Aymanns on drums. Future concerts are July 31st and August 7th and 14th. USD 35 per individual concert for Athenaeum members / USD 132 for the series; $ 40 for non-members / $ 152 for the series. ljathenaeum.org/summer-jazz
• The North Coast Repertory Theater presents “Becoming Dr. Ruth ”until Sunday, July 11th, online. The solo showcase, written by Mark St. Germain, shows Tovah Feldshuh as a sex therapist and media personality. $ 35 for single viewing; $ 54 for group viewing. nordcoastrep.org
• Adventures by the Book will present “Workparent: An ABTB Means Business Fireside Adventure” online on Tuesday, July 13th at 4:00 pm. Executive coach and author Daisy Dowling will speak about her book “Workparent”. $ 28.50; contains a paperback. bit.ly/ABBDowling
• Warwick’s bookstore will be presented by author Kristin Harmel on Wednesday, July 14th, at 6 pm on Facebook Live. Harmel will talk to the author Kristina McMorris about her new book “The Forest of Vanishing Stars”. Free. warwicks.com/event/harmel-2021
• The San Diego Writers Festival will be held online on Saturday, July 17 and Saturday, July 31, at 9:30 am online. The July 17th festival, in partnership with the Coronado Public Library and Warwick’s La Jolla bookstore, will feature Saturday Night Live alumna Laraine Newman discussing her new memoir and James Patterson and co-author Matt Eversmann discussing their new book . Free. sandiegowritersfestival.com
Oceanographer Kim McCoy will discuss his updated edition of Willard Bascom’s book, Waves and Beaches: The Powerful Dynamics of Sea and Coast, at DG Wills Books in La Jolla on Saturday, July 17th.
(Courtesy Kim McCoy)
• DG Wills Books presents Oceanographer Kim McCoy on Saturday, July 17th at 7:00 pm at 7461 Girard Ave., La Jolla. McCoy will review his updated edition of Willard Bascom’s book, Waves and Beaches: The Powerful Dynamics of Sea and Coast, a guide for anyone studying, surfing, or interested in the ocean. Free. dgwillsbooks.com
• The La Jolla Playhouse presents on Friday, July 30th and Saturday, July 31st, at 7 and 9:30 pm in the Mandel Weiss Forum of UC San Diego, 2910 La Jolla Village Drive, a special commitment by “Hasan Minhaj – Experiment Time “. The one-man show will feature material written and performed by comedian Minhaj. Ticket sales start on Thursday, July 8th. LaJollaPlayhouse.org
Galas & Events
• The Yiddish Arts and Academics Association of North America presents Corona and the New Normal online at 11 am on Sunday, July 11th. The zoom game is a fundraiser for the organization hoping to open a Yiddish cultural center in La Jolla. $ 36. yaaana.com/fundraiser
• Olivewood Gardens & Learning Center and the San Diego-Tijuana Chapter of the National Association of Hispanic Journalists present “Rosamaria’s Culinary Traditions: Virtual Cooking Class” online on Wednesday, July 14th at 6:00 pm. Traditional vegan recipes are featured at the fundraiser for the Olivewood and NAHJ San Diego-Tijuana nutrition and gardening programs. $ 20 for course registration and $ 20 for an ingredient kit that will be available for pickup on Tuesday, July 13th. bit.ly/olivewoodclass
• Gelson’s will host a virtual ice cream tasting online at 6pm on Thursday, July 15th. The event features a variety of ice creams, including vegan ones, in a party package that can be picked up on July 14th or 15th at Gelson’s Pacific Beach, 730 Turquoise St.; Gelsons Del Mar, 2707 Via de la Valle; and Gelsons Karlsbad, 7660 El Camino Real. $ 24.99. gelsons.com/icecream
Do you have an event – online or in person – that you would like to see here? Email your leads to firstname.lastname@example.org. ◆